Monday, July 20, 2015

The "Gathering Time"

I'm back in Kentucky at last and the big barns are doing their thing and the rain's been making the grass grow so fast it's a jungle of new electric greens every day. This year has been, what to say of it, very lifey. This has been heightened by the fact that over the past 6-7 months I've been suffering from vertigo which I believe is finally getting better. It's been a strange illness. To be spinning. All. The. Time. I envy those walking around without the world threatening to bring them to their knees at any moment. I want to shout, "It must be nice just to walk around without someone holding you up!" But finally, I think, fingers crossed, birds wished upon, I am getting better. (And my MRI shows my brain is way cooler than I thought.)

Living in New York from January through May was wild and hard and wonderful. (Though
navigating the streets (even familiar streets) of New York while dizzy gives a whole new meaning to "feeling off kilter." I missed seeing many people I wanted to simply because I didn't have the balance or the energy to go much farther than my own small realm of Brooklyn bodegas. (It doesn't mean I didn't want to, I was lying in bed watching the world twist.) 

Teaching at NYU was marvelous. Teaching at Columbia University was a joy. And then I taught at the Queens University of Charlotte, then for the 24Pearl online for the Provincetown Fine Arts Work Center, and then at New Harmony (WOW, AMAZING) in Indiana, and now at last I have been home for a whole three weeks.  I haven't had a real summer in so long. The sort that allows you to breathe and travel and NOT travel and laugh and eat ice cream. This has been all I've been doing lately. I haven't written. Well, two poems. And I haven't worked (well, freelance work, but the fun stuff). And mainly I've been allowing myself 3-4 mile walks with audio books and no distractions. Finally my health and my balance seem to be returning. It's such a joy to just be in your body and let it move and not have any particular push in one direction or another. 

This I believe is the "gathering time." My ideas for new projects are coming together as Bright Dead Things arrives in a month or so. Waiting for a book to arrive is strange. I've never had a child, but I can imagine there is something of an anxious anticipation that might be similar. I want to hold it in my hands, but I'm also terrified. This book is very personal and a bit different for me. It's both more aware of joy and more aware of rage. But it will arrive when it arrives and in the meantime I walk and plan and think and meditate and listen to music and love and breathe.

I've been spending time with new books from friends: Rebecca Lindenburg's The Logan Notebooks (which contains this aphorism: "Sometimes the only way out of the rain is into the river."), Dawn Lundy Martin's Life Inside a Box is a Pretty Life (a poem here: http://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/life-box-pretty-life), Jon Pineda's Little Anodynes whose poem "Umpteenth" is just such a quiet portrait of fatherhood and strength, "& I stupid me would not climb the stairs & hold her No I thought we didn't do that kind of thing anymore." And a fresh new arc of Gisele Firmino's first novel The Marble Army--set in Brazil during one of history's most unforgiving regimes. To spend your time with good writing from friends is such a good way to pass the time. 

Oh and not to mention the new play I just read from Trish Harnetiaux which damn near murdered me it was so good. It's called "Weren't You in My Science Class?" and can I tell you how refreshing it is to read great female characters in a play that's not--at all--about men? One scene in particular might rival any scene I've read in theater so far (including the toaster scene in True West.) And then there's Corey Stoll of course staring in Ant-Man (a thrilling performance). So even when I'm not reading work, I get to SEE the work of my nearest and dearest. This is what a summer break should be. A chance to indulge in READING and EXPERIENCING the works of the badasses you've chosen to walk beside (and behind). All this, and finally having read both The Fault of Our Stars and Paper Towns by John Green (as I work on--or at least think about--my YA book)...and no one told me he includes so much poetry! I loved them both.

The "gathering time" might be my favorite time. Less leaning forward and more sponging. I am imagining myself at the river's bottom. Letting it all just do its thing over me.

Is this a long way of saying I am not writing? Perhaps. But it's more of a long way of saying, I am loving not producing right now. I am just here to listen, to nod, to sway at the words of others and to stop by the farm stand and make potato salad. Let this be enough. My friend Stephanie Hopkins said once, "I don't want to be insatiable, how horrible, I want to be satiable." And that's what I want, too. To be, for the moment, satisfied.  





4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ada,

I love the idea of the "gathering time." Not writing is just as much a part of the process as writing. You must fill up the well before the art can pour out again. I know I can get really in my head when I'm not writing enough (whatever I'm defining "enough" as in that particular, neurotic moment...) but it's when I just chill out and let myself "sponge" as you say, that's when I can return and make content that's fresh and unforced.

Yep Yep Yep. Get it girl.

Emma (from New Harmony! HEY!)

my little yorkie said...

You got the point.

Anonymous said...

台湾風俗で安全に遊ぶために初心者が知っておくべき事。台湾元で支払い場合は、台湾風俗値段変わらず、表に書いたままですが日本円で支払い場合は、為替レートによって、毎日レートが違うので、ご来店当日のレートで支払い頂きます。もしも分からないところがあれば、是非、ご説明をさせて頂きます。#台湾風俗 #台北風俗 #台湾キャバクラ #台北エロマッサージ #台北セクキャバ(おっパブ)台湾風俗拔き打ち檢查対応【人気】台湾台湾は親日国だし、女性も日本人好みのカワイイ子がいっぱい居て、ナンパするのも良いでしょう。個人的には大好きな国の一つであります。KTV、デリヘル、ホテヘル、マッサージ、台北風俗クラブと豊富な種類の風俗があります。台湾風俗が初めての人から何回も遊んでいる人まで、台湾風俗を極めた筆者が写真付きで解説する。コスパがいい遊びはもちろん、絶対外したくない人、ディープな遊びをしたい人までそれぞれ特徴を比較しながら潜入レポを紹介していく。男性諸君に朗報です!実は今台湾の風俗が熱いと噂です。海外の風俗は日本と違いサービス内容が濃いと言われておりますが、台湾風俗も凄くイイそうです!今回は台湾の夜遊びで訪れて頂きたい、台湾の風俗店8選をピックアップしていきます海外出張のついでに、海外風俗・夜遊びを楽しんでいます。今回は台湾にある風俗の種類をご紹介します。種類は豊富なので、皆さまのニーズに合ったものをご選択頂ければと思います。台湾は風俗もすばらしい。日本語の通じる店や台北のクラブ遊び、台湾の高級風俗あそび、スペシャルマッサージは魅力的です。台湾の台北の風俗・夜遊びの種類で何があるかわからない初心者の人にもわかりやすく種類をまとめます。台湾の台北の風俗や夜遊びはKTVや日本式クラブ、サウナ(桑拿)が有名ですが華西街観光夜市付近の置屋とたちんぼ、スナックの台北は物価が安いことでも有名で、日本人観光客からも大変人気です。もちろん、食べ物や飲み物も安いですが、台湾で遊べる風俗なども格安で楽しむことができちゃいます。台湾人女性は非常にセクシーで男性はヒィーヒィーして

Rasel Ahmed said...


Bangali Short Film